Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Three shopping rules I love

I was just looking at my clothes and thinking about shopping. Truth is, I was looking at clothes at Goodwill that can be my clothes if I pay for them and thinking about shopping. And I decided not to get anything. Why? Because I am not an impulse shopper anymore.
Long time ago I used to go to stores, see what's in and get a piece or two that I liked the most. And then, like many other women, stand in front of my closet and scream "I have nothing to wear" and yet it was bursting in seams!

So I had to learn how to shop.

First rule: Think about at least three occasions where you can wear something. When I used to work in the office, I could shop for heels all the time. Five work days a week, four weeks in a month equals to twenty different occasions where I can wear 5 inch peep toes. It didn't make sense to buy flip flops when my dress code asked for formal shoes. When I worked in retail, I was standing up to 8 hours a day. High heels were a no-no and I was always on a hunt for funky flats and boots with no heel.


Second rule: Think about at least three outfits you can make with an item. Does it make sense for me to buy purple pants, when I would only wear it with one or two tops? Even if they are reasonably priced, and by reasonably I mean $20, still a no. The higher the price of an item, the higher the versatility should be. For $20 I can buy a neutral pair of black jeans I can wear to work, to go shopping or visit a museum. Sounds much better, doesn't it?


Third rule: Think a season ahead! Do you feel in March and April like you never want to wear a sweater ever again anymore? Think again! I know and you know that fall and winter will come again and you will need to shop for sweaters, jackets, boots and corduroys again. But stores just happen to sell them really cheap before summer comes so they have more space for bikinis. So think ahead and stock up on seasonal clothes when they are the cheapest. Same goes for bikini. By the end of summer, when you are wonderfully toned and tanned, hit the fitting rooms with inexpensive cute swimsuits and get ready for next year.

With these three rules in mind I am working on my shopping list for the summer. I want to get clothes that will fit my lifestyle, complement my red hair and match what I already have in my closet. Can't wait to have it done and go shopping!

XOXO,
The European Redhead

No comments:

Post a Comment