Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Office Appropriate Redhead

I was working in an office until last December. I was excited, because I always wanted to work in an office, wear nice clothes and makeup and HEELS! But soon I realized how my casual clothes are not work appropriate and my office appropriate clothes are not casual. So I had to start shopping smart.
The dress code was business casual, no flip flops or jeans, no shorts. We were encouraged to wear pantsuits, dresses, high heels and button downs. And I thought, NO WAY! There is no chance I can pull off a pantsuit without looking ridiculous. I like to look sharp, but more "I work for a magazine" sharp than "I work for a corporate office" sharp. So I experimented with my looks and was able to sneak in printed denim, brown boots and some (more or less office appropriate) color combinations. 


1. Conservative look. When working in an office, you can't go wrong with a fitted button down. Just combine it with whatever else and you look put together and professional. I started with a good fitting button down shirt. I found mine at New York and Company, they still sell similar model, although in different colors. I picked green because as a Redhead, I love green the most. White or cream would be too plain for me, as I planned to wear it with neutral bottoms. A simple button down can be combined with pants of different lengths and styles and accessorized with heels, belts and necklaces. 



2. Bring on the color! I bought a bright orange slightly see through shirt from Old Navy thinking about wearing it with jeans and shorts. This shirt is the perfect transition piece between work and casual wardrobe, because it can be easily worn for a shopping trip, but also for work. Again, I am wearing it with neutral bottoms (black, beige and yes, grey),  but switching up the shoes, belts and scarfs. I still look polished, but more fashionable and less "stuffy" as I would in an orange button down. 


3. Breaking the rules was definitely on my mind when I was choosing this outfit. I could not pass one of my favorite sales ever - 5 for $20 at Wet Seal that they have from time to time. Every single item on their clearance racks is $4 and you have to buy in amounts of five to get the deal. My shirt and turquoise jeans are from this sale combined with pink belt that was attached to H&M shorts and zebra printed pink scarf from Walmart. Technically I was not breaking any rules here, no blue denim, no exposed flesh, no casual flip flops or anything like that. Just a simple retro outfit that can easily pass for a work appropriate outfit :)

How do you dress for work? And if you work in the administrative field, happy Administrative Professionals'  Day! 

XOXO,
The European Redhead


No comments:

Post a Comment